From James: Oh, my God, I'm so excited about this, because Amy Morin she doesn't know it, but she's my therapist. Amy doesn't realize it, but whenever she comes on my podcast or I go on her podcast, it's like I'm going into a therapy session.
Of course, you know her as the author of 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't Do, sold millions of copies. She's been on my podcast five or six times or more, and I'm really happy this episode is her interviewing me from her podcast. And it's me having a therapy session. Here we go!
In this episode of Mentally Stronger, Amy Morin engages in a spirited discussion with James about the concept of quests and their transformative potential. They discuss how engaging in a quest, whether it's learning a new skill, exploring a hobby, or pursuing a wild idea, can invigorate life, foster creativity, and build mental strength. They also highlight how quests are journeys of learning, personal growth, and potentially surprising benefits, even if the end goal is not achieved. Additionally, they explore the necessity of shifting and changing quests as needed and the compelling connections between quests and mental strength.
- 00:00 Introduction to the Concept of Quests
- 01:56 The Importance of Goals and Quests in Mental Strength
- 03:23 The Role of Quests in Personal Growth
- 04:43 Exploring the Concept of Quests with James Altucher
- 05:23 Defining a Quest and its Impact on Life
- 10:32 The Quest of Visiting Every State in the U.S.
- 15:14 The Quest of Interviewing People at 3am
- 19:01 The Quest of Returning to Chess
- 28:25 The Power of Pursuing a Quest
- 28:32 The Role of Passion and Experimentation
- 29:50 Exploring the World of Forged Artworks
- 30:58 The Impact of Quests on Personal Growth
- 31:47 The Challenges and Rewards of Chess Mastery
- 32:14 The Importance of a Positive Mindset
- 33:28 The Value of Safe Practice and Failure
- 33:52 The Joy of Personal Achievement
- 34:10 The Role of a Trainer in Achieving Goals
- 35:17 The Journey of Learning and Improvement
- 37:09 The Intricacies of Pursuing a Quest
- 46:37 The Unexpected Adventure of Buying Greenland
- 53:18 The Therapist's Take on Mental Strength-Building Strategies
- What do YOU think of the show? Head to JamesAltucherShow.com/listeners and fill out a short survey that will help us better tailor the podcast to our audience!
- Are you interested in getting direct answers from James about your question on a podcast? Go to JamesAltucherShow.com/AskAltucher and send in your questions to be answered on the air!
- Visit Notepd.com to read our idea lists & sign up to create your own!
- My new book, Skip the Line, is out! Make sure you get a copy wherever books are sold!
- Join the You Should Run for President 2.0 Facebook Group, where we discuss why you should run for President.
- I write about all my podcasts! Check out the full post and learn what I learned at jamesaltuchershow.com
Thank you so much for listening! If you like this episode, please rate, review, and subscribe to “The James Altucher Show” wherever you get your podcasts:
Follow me on social media: